Nice has Vélo Bleu self-service rental bikes on every corner for some great family fun: 175 stations with 1,750 bikes. For 1€ a day you can use the bikes as often as you like for up to 30 minutes. This gives you the right to hire any bike, anywhere, as often as you want, for 30 minutes at a time for free. If you go over the free 30 minutes, the next 30 costs you 1€, and each hour after that is 2€.
Find the Velo Blue Bike Hire locations here:https://www.velobleu.org/ftp/FR_documents_velobleu/Plan_Map_v3.pdf
TIPS: The use of blue bikes is for over 14 years.
It can be tricky getting the hang of how to register
A really informative blog on using these cool bikes can be found on Best of Nice Blog http://www.bestofniceblog.com/transport-in-nice/bike-rental-in-nice-the-velo-bleu/
2 reviews on “Bike Rental Vélo Bleu Nice”
Read before you go ahead with this activity:
– you can only buy passes from the Velo Blue office opposite the train station for a week or year so there is no pointing going there unless you want to use them for a longish period.
– If you plan on going to a Velo Bleu office get there at least 30 minutes before closing because we were turned away 25 minutes before closing.
– there isn’t an English version of the website. Use google translate if you don’t speak French.
– you can register at a small number of stations using a credit card. You can google which ones they are.
– they mention a 150 euro deposit when you register. This did not come off of my card at any point but from what I understand it can affect your credit limit available on your card. So if you’re close to it you might want to bear this in mind.
– Lots of the bikes are in poor condition, it’s worth checking the one you intend to take before you start using the machine. In fact some of the ones we used were quite dangerous.
Whats the fuss?
You have to register by calling the number on the board and enter your card details. Once registered each bike lock has a different number, you call the number on the lock and you take the bike. Return the bike to any of the numerous bike racks and pay for what you use. Simple !